WeCare Fund for Student-Initiated Youth Suicide Prevention Projects 2019
Young people are the hope of a family, as well as our society. Various stakeholders, such as the government bureau and departments, non-government organizations, media, healthcare professionals, schools and general public, have put enormous effort in promoting youth suicide prevention in Hong Kong. Nevertheless, students are the epicenter of student suicide incidents. To empower and facilitate them to organize self-help and/or mutual help projects will not only contribute to controlling this crisis, but will also be beneficial for identifying good practices for youth suicide prevention.
- To facilitate students to initiate and deliver mental health related projects on campus targeting young people;
- To guide student-initiated projects with professional advices (preferably a member from Student Affairs Office or a member of their home institution, e.g. clinical psychologist, psychiatrist, counsellor, school social worker, or other relevant disciplines);
- To foster positive emotions amongst the Universities/Institutions; and
- To enhance public awareness on mental health issues.
3. Intended Learning Outcomes
- Enhance understanding of mental health and suicide prevention;
- Acquire generic skills, especially social communication skills and self-reflection ability;
- Enhance students’ knowledge on mental health issue and suicide prevention; and
- Cultivate empathy for others.
- 6 projects
- Full-time and part-time post-secondary students studying in the list of Universities/Institutions in Appendix 1.
- Project MUST undergo with professional advices (preferably a member of Student Affairs Office or a member of their home institution, e.g. clinical psychologist, psychiatrist, counsellor, school social worker, or other relevant disciplines)
6. Themes of Project Proposal
- A project proposal should meet at least one of the following themes:
- Reaching out to peers with emotional distress/suicidal risk
- Encourage help-seeking among students when having emotional distress or feeling suicidal
- Mental health promotion among students
7. Funding Available
- In principle, each approved project will receive up to HK$50,000. The actual amount of fund approved will reflect the merits of the proposed project.
- Funding decisions will be announced within a month after the application deadline (by September).
- The Fund can be used to support research, direct services, community events, exhibitions, social entrepreneurship, documentary making, art, cultural promotion and presentations, and all activities that contribute to the goals of this project.
- The first 70% of the Fund will be paid for the project leader as startup of the project. The outstanding 30% of the amount will be paid after 4 months of the project implementation.
- The Fund is a token subsidy and does not mean to assist any student body/group to generate income or profit.
- Applicants are required to declare and report on details of any financial support already received at the time of application or as soon as they are awarded for the project. CSRP reserves the right to reduce its financial support to the project upon receiving such information.
- In any event, the total financial support from CSRP should NOT exceed the proposed budget.
- Upon completion of the projects, the grantee is required to submit a final and financial report 1 month after the project end date. All true copies of receipts have to be included in the report.
- Based on the final evaluation of the 6 projects, Best Practice Awards will be identified. All projects will be awarded with additional HK$30,000 to sustain or extend their projects. The use of award funding should focus on youth suicide prevention. Public campaign/education can also be considered as part of the component.
8. Duration of the Project
Each approved project should be completed before 31/07/2020.
9. Selection Procedure
- A review committee will be organized by CSRP to select 6 projects from the applications. To ensure more institutions can be benefitted from the Project, we will prefer no more than one project being funded in one institution.
- Upon completion of the project, the funded project is required to submit a project report and the committee will evaluate the projects’ effectiveness.
10. Assessment Criteria
Assessment will be conducted by CSRP on the basis of:
- Relevance to the objectives and themes of the Fund;
- Originality and innovativeness of the Project;
- Help address a challenge related to mental health faced by the society, with clear potential benefits;
- Be based on empirical research in the relevant field;
- Conduct pre and post assessment in order to evaluate project effectiveness;
- Partnership with professionals (e.g. clinical psychologist, psychiatrist, counsellor, school social worker, or other relevant areas);
- Feasibility and sustainability of the project; and
- The impact of the Project to the students.
11. Application Procedure
- All applicants should fill in an online application form and download a proposal template to state clearly the objectives, procedures, measurable indicators, predicted outcome, impact and justifiable budget of the project. Applicants should submit applications and proposals online on or before 02/08/2019.
- Submission of incorrect/incomplete information may cause delay/disqualification. A successful applicant will be disqualified and/or, where appropriate, be required to refund the grant if he/she provides any false or misleading information to CSRP.
- All members from selected projects must attend one full day training workshop at The University of Hong Kong (Details of the workshop will be announced after project selection).
12. Important dates
|14 May – 02 Aug 2019||Application period|
|August 2019||Selection of 6 Projects|
(Dates will be confirmed after project selection)
|Full day training workshop for selected student groups|
|September 2019 – 31 July 2020||(Phase 1) Project implementation period|
|31 August 2020||Submission of Project Report|
|September – November 2020||Selection of the Best Practice Award Selection and Award ceremony|
|November 2020- June 2021||(Phase 2) Extension period for projects awarded with Best Practice Award|
- 申請結果將於申請截止日期後一個月內公佈 (約九月)。